Responsible for the Export Development business segment of the Bank. Acting as the custodian of the Export Development programme and providing specialist expertise to the team at the Head Office and field teams based in Regional Branch offices.
Strategy and Special Initiatives
- Oversee the implementation of Bank’s approved export development strategy. In particular, the Director of Export Development should drive the implementation of special projects/programmes that relate to industrialization and export development, including the creation of Industrial Parks, Innovation and Technology Parks, Standards and Certification Centres, and Export Trading Companies in key markets across Africa.
- Deepen and expand the coverage of the Bank’s Flagship initiative, the Africa Cocoa Initiative (AFRICOIN), to other critical commodities of export interest to Africa (i.e. cashew, palm oil, coffee, etc.). AFRICOIN was designed to provide end-to-end solutions to the Africa’s cocoa sector through financing, provision of technical/corporate finance and advisory services to eligible entities in the Cocoa Value Chain. The Initiative is intended to facilitate increases in cocoa sector productivity, promote value addition within Africa through processing of cocoa beans into intermediate raw materials, and promote consumption of cocoa and cocoa products in Africa, the Middle East and Asia.
- To be the custodian of the Bank’s menu of Export Development programmes and products. In this regard, the Director will ensure that products are dynamic and respond to changes in the global environment and are well tailored to meet demands of African corporate entities and financial institutions.
- Propose and design new programmes to assist the Bank in the promotion of export manufacturing (i.e. Light Manufacturing, Agro-processing, etc.) and export services (i.e. Tourism, Entertainment, etc.) across Africa.
- Develop a mechanism for attracting equity (from African and non-African sources, including the Bank’s Fund for Export Development (FUNFED)) into African entities and SMEs, particularly those in the agro-processing and light manufactures.
- Oversee the structuring and completion of export manufacturing and export service projects across the Bank’s member countries with focus on Light Manufacturing; Contract manufacturing; Healthcare & Pharmaceutical; and Hospitality (Hotel).
- Provide insights into the potential developmental outcomes of the Bank’s industrialization and export development strategies, including GDP growth, poverty reduction, jobs creation, export diversification, etc.
- Provide regular updates to Executive Management on latest developments in the global and African industrialization and manufacturing space and proposing strategies to promote industrial development across the continent.
Advisory and Market Development
- Assist national Governments and export development agencies/institutions in the design and implementation of national export development/industrialization programmes/initiatives.
- Provide advisory services to member states in the formulation of national industrialization policies as well as creating programmes to develop and promote the competitiveness of national exports in global markets.
- Design innovative means to fostering market access for African manufacturers and processing entities through twinning initiatives. The Director of Export Development should also develop mechanisms for identifying market opportunities within Africa in support of Intra-African trade as well as opportunities outside the continent.
- Forge strategic international partnerships relevant to the delivery of the development strategy of the Bank. In particular, such partnerships should aim at mobilizing financing and technical assistance towards the development and participation of SMEs in national, regional and global value chains.
- Design and implement mechanisms for building capacity of African entities to create quality products that meet international standards (in terms of branding, packaging, etc.)
- Design, within the framework of the Afreximbank’s Strategic Plan 2017-2021, a programme for creating capacity among African SMEs in the value added sectors, particularly in the areas of Corporate Governance, finance and account management, etc.
- Undertake lobbying activities with African Governments, Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and other continental organizations to put in place relevant macroeconomic policies, conducive financial markets and supportive institutional and regulatory frameworks that would have a positive impact on industrialization and export development in Africa.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by Senior Management.
Requirements: Qualification and Skill
- Bachelor’s degree and post graduate degree in Business Administration, Economics, Banking, Finance or other related fields from a recognized University.
- A recognized post graduate professional qualification in Banking will be an added advantage.
- Sound experience of minimum 12 years with a leading financial services organization and familiarity with the major export development finance products to be offered to clients and considerable knowledge of how these work;
- Knowledge of the mandate and activities under Afreximbank’s Export Development Programme;
- Knowledge of government and industrial policy;
- Knowledge of international affairs, international trade and the global economy;
- Knowledge of banking and/or insurance industry and products supporting export development;
- Knowledge of Afreximbank’s and other Export Development products;
- Knowledge of sound financial and risk management practices;
- Knowledge of different sizes and needs of African enterprises ranging from large national and multi-national corporates to small and medium sized businesses and of Africa’s diverse industry sectors;
- Knowledge related to development finance would be an asset;
- Financial acumen and literacy (ability to read and assess financial statements);
- Ability to set priorities and support the corporate vision needed to fulfill Export Development mandate and attain its objectives; and
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with other staff members and have the capacity to be sensitive to the differing needs and agendas of multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate and function in a culturally diverse and change oriented setting with good knowledge of banking practices in Africa;
- Ability to interact with senior officials of banks, corporates and governments and to represent the Bank in important professional fora where oral presentation of papers will be necessary to high level technical and professional audiences;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of the Bank’s other working languages is an added advantage (French, Arabic and Portuguese);
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities, including ability to organize and manage human resources to attain goals;
- Strong interpersonal skills, superior intellect, and an outstanding ability to communicate at all levels; and
- Demonstrable problem-solving, quantitative, and analytical skills; strategic and creative thinking.
- Willing and able to relocate to Cairo
- Suitably qualified candidates from all African nationalities are encouraged to apply
- Tax-free salaries paid in USD
If you wish to apply for the position please send your CV to Danelle van der Merwe at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please visit www.banking-recruitment-jobs.com  or www.ca-finance.com  for more exciting opportunities.
For any further information please get in contact with:
Danelle van der Merwe
Senior Associate Executive Search
CA Global Finance
If you have not had any response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful however your CV will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions.