As a result of privatisation and the drive in many African countries to increase indigenous participation in their various economies, there is a growing demand by African entrepreneurs for financing to enable them to take advantage of the privatisation and local content promotion opportunities by acquiring physical assets.
Major areas of demand include:
- Oil and Gas Services where demand is usually for acquisition of vessels, rigs, platforms, barges and related equipment used in servicing oil producing companies;
- Mining Services where the demand is usually for heavy equipment used in land excavation;
- Airlines where demand is usually for airplanes;
- Maritime where demand is for ocean-going vessels; and
- Mining where assets in question are minerals under the ground, i.e. reserves.
Through this Programme, the Bank supports:
- African content promotion in Africa’s Oil and Gas and other mining sectors;
- African maritime transport, especially if targeted at carrying intra-African cargo;
- Intra-African railways;
- reserve-based lending for certain oil and gas/ mining activities; and
- development of African airlines in order to improve air travel in the Continent.